Emmy Award-nominated actor and host, Terrence J and Nigerian-American actress and co-host Osas Ighodaro are set to host the hottest Pan-African Award Show “The Headies.” The A-list duo of dynamic talents will lead the proceedings at the Cobb Energy Performing Arts Centre in Atlanta, GA, at 5 PM ET. The star-studded lineup of performers includes Ayra Starr, Rema, Asake, Oxlade, Johnny Drille, Blaqbonez, Spyro, Seyi Vibez, FireBoyDML, KCee, and Victony and more to be announced.
The Headies is the most coveted pan-African music award event. Over the years, it has rewarded, recognized, and celebrated the greatest in Afrobeats, African music, and culture, featuring sounds from South, East, Central, North, and West Africa. During its 16th edition, Smooth Promotions–the organizers of The Headies–will highlight the world’s most influential and impactful artists from Africa to the United States. The nominees for The International Artist of the Year category, the voting award category for non-African artist(s) or group(s) with the most outstanding achievements and impact on Afrobeats, are Drake, Future, Selena Gomez, Don Tolliver, and Ed Sheeran. Sean Love Combs will receive the International Special Recognition Award. A full list of nominees can be found HERE.
Inspired by the need to fill a significant void and be the voice of a generation in the culture that they represent, The Headies understands the urban contemporary pop culture that Afrobeats brings to mainstream music. The event boasts a mega-platform that interfaces with young, talented artists who represent the future of global music. Artist nomination categories include:
- International Artist of the Year: Drake, Future, Selena Gomez, Don Tolliver, and Ed Sheeran
- International Artist Recognition Honoree: Sean Love Combs
- Best Recording of The Year: Tems, Burna Boy, Victony & Tempoe, Omah Lay, Davido featuring Sunday Service Choir
- Producer of the Year: Magicsticks, P.Prime, TMXO & Pheelz, Andrew Vibez & London, Tempoe, Kel-P, Rexxie
- Best Female Artist: Tems, Simi, Ayra Starr, Tiwa Savage
- Digital Artist of the Year: Burna Boy, Ayra Starr, Rema, Omah Lay, Kizz Daniel, Asake
- Best Collaborations: Asake featuring Burna Boy, Bnxn featuring Kizz Daniel & Seyi Vibez, Pheelz featuring Bnxn, Spyro featuring Tiwa Savage, Pheelz featuring Davido, Wande Coal featuring Olamide
- Songwriter of the Year: Tems, Ludwig Goransson, Robyn Rihanna Fenty, Ryan Coogler, Simi Kosoko, Godsfavour Chidozie, Kosoko Adekunle, Marcel Akunwata, Stanley Dida, Adebajo Adebanjo, Daniel Benson, Fuayefika Maxwell, Damini Ebunoluwa Ogulu, Austin Jnr Iornongu Iwar, Peace Oredope, Ludwig Goransson
- Best Inspirational Single: Davido featuring Sunday Service Choir, Limoblaze, Lecrae & Happi Music, Victor Thompson & Ehis ‘D’ Greatest, Neon Adejo, Nathaniel Bassey And Mercy Chinwo, Victoria Orenze
- Best R&B Single: Burna Boy featuring Ed Sheeran, Ckay, Dami Oniru, Preye, Chike featuring Flavour, Simi featuring Fave
For a complete list of nominees and honorees, click HERE. Additional talent is to be announced soon.
For more details on the 16th Annual Headies Awards, please visit https://theheadies.com.
About The Headies Awards: The Headies Awards, Originally called the Hip Hop World Awards, is a music awards show established in 2006 by the Hip Hop World Magazine of Nigeria to recognize outstanding achievements in the Nigerian music industry. The annual ceremony features performances by established and promising artists.
About Ayo Animashaun : Ayo Animashaun is a Nigerian entertainment entrepreneur and Radio executive. He is CEO of Smooth Productions, an entertainment firm that organizes The Headies awards show and publishes weekly Hip Hop World Magazine. On November 5th, 2013 he led his firm to the launch of HipTV on Multichoice DSTV. In October of 2013, The Net magazine listed Animashaun as one of the most influential people in Nigerian Entertainment.